An abrupt end squanders a well acted movie.
The story line started out really well. It felt like a combination of Spielberg's movies Minority Report and ET. I was hooked in when the first act ended. By the time the second act ended I had a bad feeling. The third act just didn't do it for me. The ending just felt so abrupt, and the film just didn't resonate with me in the end, and it felt like a copy and paste of The Abyss by James Cameron.
The acting in this movie was so well done! Josh O'Connor did a great job, and he has showed that he has a bright future ahead of him. Emily Blunt arguably gave the best performance of her career. Colin Firth was intriguing, but his character had such bad writing at the end. Wyatt Russell was heavily underused, which was such a shame. Eve Hewson's performance was hit or miss for me at times. Elizabeth Marvel did a very good job as well. Courtney Grace's performance in the last few minutes was arguable the best performance in the movie, and she nearly saves the third act.
The chase sequences did not do it for me. I felt no suspense, and I was quite bored whenever there was a chase scene.
At times, it felt like Steven Spielberg really had his mojo back, but the film just lacked the magic that he had in his younger days. The musical score though was amazing, John Williams felt like John Williams again. The visuals looked great also.
I would imagine that there had to be a deleted scene involving Colin Firth's decision to help Emily and Josh at the end because his sudden turn just when he sees a vision of his wife was such bad writing, and was really disappointing! The artifacts that the government would use to track the main characters felt like plot armor and were not doing it for me also.
Overall, Disclosure Day has traces of Steven Spielberg's earlier films and is well acted, but lackluster chase scenes, too many plot holes, and an abrupt ending squander the potential!
Out of 4 stars I would give it...
2.5 out of 4 stars
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.