Sunday, July 19, 2026

Backrooms (2026): Review

 A sudden change of direction in the third act squanders a suspenseful movie.

The story line started out exactly how I wanted it to. It had some very suspenseful moments, and man was it keeping me on the edge of my seat. I was disappointed when the third act's twist was revealed, it felt like the suspense was gone. I also didn't like how they just got rid of two supporting characters and then hardly brought them up again.

The acting was really good. Chiwetel Ejiofor did a great job, but I wasn't entirely sure if I should like or dislike him, but I think that was the whole point by the end of the movie. Renate Reinsve did a great job as well, and managed to make the third act watchable due to her performance. Finn Bennett & Lukita Maxwell did good jobs, but they were heavily underused!

The found footage stuff is more of what I was expecting the movie to be throughout. I really wish they had stuck with that, because man did it get creepy and put me on the edge of my seat. The final chase scene in the third act was really irritating because she kept taking too long to make up her mind and move. They should have kept the tone of the first 2 acts, especially the opening scene.

I know they are planning on doing a sequel, but I am not sure how you plan on expanding the story. I really hope it is more of a found footage kind of film, and that it does not try to have some kind of massive twist to it.

Overall, Backrooms started out with so much promise, but the third act derails it sadly.

Out of 4 stars I would give it...

2.5 out of 4 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.